DIY Bamboo Treatment: a Step-By-Step Guide
Learn the simple, budget-friendly Vertical Soak Diffusion method for durable, long-lasting bamboo treatment.
Bamboo, a strong and sustainable material, is often under threat from insects like termites, beetles, and fungi. But don't let these pesky pests discourage you from using bamboo in your project. With a bit of know-how, you can prepare and treat bamboo to ensure its longevity and strength. This article will dive deep into a simple, budget-friendly bamboo treatment method called Vertical Soak Diffusion (VSD).
VSD is ideal for small or large projects alike, particularly if your budget is tight. Its beauty lies in its simplicity and effectiveness, requiring minimum equipment and investment. In this process, all the bamboo pole nodes, except for the last one, are punctured using a long, spear-headed iron rod. Then, the poles are positioned vertically and filled with a preservative solution. Visualize it as filling a lengthy bamboo cup with a lifesaving brew.
In this article, we share:
- The materials you need to treat your bamboo using this treatment method
- The steps to take to treat your bamboo
Materials You Need To Treat Bamboo Using The VSD Treatment Method
- Measuring tape
- Weight scale
- Borax - 0.9 kg or 900 grams
- Boric acid - 0.6 kg or 600 grams
- Protective gear (gloves, rubber boots, and eye protection)
- Warm water - 13.5 liters
- Containers, jugs, and a bamboo stick for mixing the solution
- Iron rod with a spearhead for puncturing the bamboo
- Funnel for pouring the solution
- End caps to cover the bamboo poles
- A basin, tub, or tank to place the bamboo and retrieve the solution after treatment
- Red Textile dye as an indicator of absorption (optional)
Structural Engineer from Brazil, specializing in Bamboo Structures and Bio Architecture. With a multidisciplinary approach, Rodrigo has been teaching, designing, and collaborating with various Bamboo players around the world. For Rodrigo, bamboo is a tool to create meaningful change in people and the environment.
October 20-31, 2023
The 11 Day Bamboo Build & Design Course in Bali
In 11 days, we'll show you how to build bamboo structures we’ll share all that it takes to build with nature.